Avocados Australia recognises export market development is a high priority for our growing industry. The rapid rate of increase in avocado production has created an imperative for the industry to access and develop new markets.
The majority of Australian avocados are currently exported to Singapore and Malaysia (see graph below) and work is underway to access and develop new markets.
In 2018, Avocados Australia established the Avocado Export Readiness and Market Access project (AV17000), funded by Hort Innovation, using the avocado research and development levy and contributions from the Australian Government. The project ensures the avocado industry is prepared to export, maintains a robust industry capacity to pursue new and improved market access, and provide necessary support to the government in their negotiations. The project supports the continued pursuit of the industry’s market access and market maintenance goals in line with the Avocado Strategic Investment Plan 2017-2021. Outcome 3 in the plan states that ‘By 2021, over 10 per cent of production will be exported to markets where customers have a willingness and capacity to pay a premium for Australian avocados’.
Under the project, a dedicated Export Program Coordinator role has been created within Avocados Australia to manage the day to day activities within the project. A project reference group (PRG) has been established, involving key avocado exporters with an interest in the long-term development of avocado exports. The role of the PRG is to provide input to the maintenance and implementation of the Avocado Export Strategy detailing market access, improvement and development priorities.
Avocado Project Reference Group members are:
- Tom Silver (Avocados Australia Director)
- Daryl Boardman (Avocados Australia Director)
- John Tyas (Avocado Australia CEO)
- Penny Measham (Hort Innovation)
- Jennie Franceschi (Karri Country Produce)
- Antony Allen (The Avolution)
- Josh Franceschi (Advanced Packing and Marketing Services)
- Evan Heidemann (Simpson Farms)
- Jon Simpson (Simpson Farms)
- Cormac te Kloot (Costa Group)
Australian Avocado Export Strategy 2019-2021
This strategy has been developed in consultation with the AV17000 Project Reference Group and included a review of the Avocado Industry Export Development Plan 2014-19 and the Avocado Industry Export Strategy Review undertaken by McKinna et al (AV16011). The plan is available for Australian avocado industry members via the Best Practice Resource Library, in the Export section.
Latest import & export reports
A large number of historical import/export reports are available with the Best Practice Resource Library.
The latest annual report is:
Australian avocado exports – annual volume by key market
Australian avocado export support
- For information on how to become export ready, and other relevant information visit the Export module within the Best Practice Resource.
- If you are searching for a potential supplier of Australian avocados, please search the Avocado Directory.
- Why Australian avocado? For information about the availability and benefits of Australian avocados, please download below in both English and simplified Chinese.
- Resources to support the Australian avocado export supply chains to deliver premium avocados into export markets are available via the Global portal on the home page.